Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Passports and Citizenship

First-Time Applicants – Over the age of 18

If you are age 18 or above and have never been documented as a U.S. citizen by your parent(s), you may proceed to complete the following:

1) Application for Passport (Form DS-11);

2) Questionnaire for Determining Possible Loss of U.S. Citizenship (DS-4079).

It will be necessary to submit the following with your application:

  • Your Birth Certificate;
    Certified copy of your long-form birth record issued by the appropriate governmental authority, showing your full name, date and place of birth, parents’ information, filing and issue date.
  • Evidence of U.S. Citizenship of the Parent(s);
    - their U.S. Passport
    - their U.S. Certificate of Naturalization/Certificate of Citizenship
    If your parents have not previously been issued one of the above:
    - their U.S. Birth certificate
    - their Consular Report of Birth Abroad

    Further evidence may be required to establish that your parent was a U.S. citizen at the time of your birth if his/her claim has not been previously established.
  • Evidence of Parents’ Marriage;
    Certified copy of your parents’ marriage certificate issued by the appropriate governmental authority. Religious records are not acceptable.
  • Evidence of Termination of your Parent’s Previous Marriages;
    Certified copy of divorce decree/death certificate etc.
  • Evidence of Change of Name;
    If you and/or your parents have changed names through marriage, court order, etc, submit an original or certified copy of the relevant documents.
  • Evidence of Physical Presence in the United States of U.S. Citizen Parent(s);
    Documentary evidence of periods of physical presence in the United States of your U.S. citizen parent(s) prior to your birth, including periods of physical presence outside the United States when the parent served in the U.S. armed forces or employed by other U.S. government agencies (if applicable). Please consult the Table of Transmission Requirements for physical presence requirements applicable at the time of your birth.
  • Your Identifying Documents;
    Your current and expired foreign passports. It may also be necessary for your mother or father to accompany you to the Embassy to identify you. If your parents are unable to attend, you should submit a progression of identifying documents of yourself from childhood to the present (e.g. medical records, baptism certificate, school year books, student I.D. card, old passports, old driver’s license, etc).
  • Evidence of Parentage and/or Legitimation;
    Credible and substantial evidence of blood relationship between yourself and your U.S. parent(s) must be submitted with your application. If you were born out-of-wedlock, please consult the attached “Table of Transmission Requirements” for the legitimation laws that may be applicable at the time of your birth.
  • Affidavit of Parentage Completed by your U.S. Citizen Parent(s)(PDF 280Kb)
    Your U.S. citizen parent should accompany you to the Embassy to sign the affidavit under oath. If your parent is in the United States, the affidavit can be signed before a notary public and must be accompanied by a notarized copy of your parent’s passport or driver’s license.
  • If Born Out-of-Wedlock to a U.S. Citizen Father

    If you were born between January 13, 1941 and December 24, 1952 and your father was serving in the U.S. military abroad, you may be required to submit your father’s Honorable Discharge papers as well as sworn statements from mother’s and father’s family regarding the circumstances surrounding your birth. Family photographs, particularly those that show a resemblance to your father’s family, should also be submitted.

11) 1 x passport photo, please see requirements for color photographs.

11) Fee

The passport fee is $135.00. The fee may be paid by credit card (we cannot accept Laser cards), in cash, U.S. dollars or equivalent in Euro or by U.S. dollar bank draft made payable to "U.S. Embassy".  The bank draft must be the exact U.S. Dollar amount of the fee payable.  We cannot give change if the amount of the draft you present is greater than the correct amount of the fee.

12) Self Addressed Envelope

Include a stamped self-addressed envelope, size 6in x 9 1/2in approx., for the return of your new and old passport.  Please affix to the envelope a €7.75 regular postage stamp or a combination of stamps to the value of €7.75.  We will return your passports and documentation to you be Express Post mail.  Processing should take four to five weeks.


You are required to make the appointment under the selection of Report the birth abroad of a child of a U.S. citizen and/or apply for the child's first passport,  Report of Birth and Social Security Number.”  Schedule, reschedule or cancel an appointment.  If you receive an email confirmation of your appointment, there is no need to call or otherwise confirm your appointment. Most appointments are held in the afternoon.


For further information follow link to Transmission Requirements for U.S. Citizenship and Physical Presence

Adobe Reader

  • Adobe PDF Reader logo

    Download Free

    All downloadable documents on this page are provided in PDF format.  To view PDFs you must have a copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader.  If you do not have Adobe Reader, download the latest version of Adobe Acrobat Reader here.