Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
First Time Passport

How to Apply for A First Passport

All persons with a claim to U.S. citizenship must apply for their first passport in person.

After reading the information below, please schedule the appointment.

Please follow the instructions on this page if you:

  1. Never had a U.S. passport issued in your own name; and
  2. Previously been issued any of the following documents, you may begin your application for your first U.S. passport.

If you are no longer in possession of any of these documents, you must obtain a certified copy from the issuing authority.

Note: If you are applying for the first passport for a child under the age of 18 who was born overseas, you must first report the child's birth. You may apply for the child's first passport at the same time.

If you have never been issued one of the above listed documents but believe you have a claim to U.S. citizenship through your parents, please review the information on how citizenship is acquired by children born outside the United States to American parent(s).

Please bring the following to your appointment:

  1. Proof of U.S. citizenship:
    • a U.S. Birth Certificate; or
    • a U.S. Consular Report of Birth Abroad; or
    • a U.S. Certification of Birth; or
    • a U.S. Certificate of Citizenship; or
    • a U.S. Naturalization Certificate; or
    • a passport of your U.S. citizen parent(s) in which you are included;

  2. Original, long-form birth certificate
  3. Proof of identity:
    • a valid passport of any country; or
    • a valid driver's license with photograph; or
    • a valid U.S. or State government ID card; or
    • a U.S. military ID card.
    • Any foreign passport that you may currently hold;

    • Your foreign (non U.S.) naturalization certificate: if you have acquired another nationality through naturalization or registration since the issuance of your proof of citizenship;

    • Name change documentation: If you have changed your name since your proof of citizenship was issued, you must submit legal documentation showing your name change.

  4. DS-11 Application Form

  5. One passport photo, please see: color photographs. Vending machine photographs are unacceptable;

  6. Fees: Please see the Passport/Citizenship Fee Page.

  7. Pre-paid self-addressed envelope (one per application), size 6in x 9 1/2in approximately. Please affix to the envelope a €7.75 postage stamp for return by Express Post.

Additional documents may be required depending upon the circumstances of your case.

If applying for a child under the age of 16, you will also be required to follow additional instructions.

if you have any queries regarding the above information please e-mail


Adobe Reader

  •  Adobe PDF Reader logo

    Download Free

    All downloadable documents on this page are provided in PDF format.  To view PDFs you must have a copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader.  If you do not have Adobe Reader, download the latest version of Adobe Acrobat Reader here.