Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Children under age 16

Applications for Minors

Each minor child must appear in person at the Embassy and provide appropriate documentation. Either both parents must accompany the child, or one parent can accompany the child, but the non-applying parent must submit a notarized statement of consent for passport issuance (see item 5 below).

After reading the information below, please schedule the appointment.

Please Note: All children regardless of age (including newborns and infants) must have their own passports for travel to and from the United States if they have a claim to US citizenship.

For all minors, please use the following checklist:

1) Form DS-11 (If you do not have a Social Security number, enter 000-00-0000 on the online wizard. If you do not remember your SSN, please refer to the Federal Benefits Unit in Dublin.

For any issues with the online application, the form is available for download here: DS-11 PDF

2) Submit Proof of U.S. Citizenship

  • Minor Children under 16 may prove U.S. Citizenship with any one of the following:
    • a full validity (five-year) U.S. passport; or
    • an original U.S. Birth Certificate; or
    • a certified U.S. Birth certificate (see note below); or
    • a U.S. Consular Report of Birth Abroad; or
    • a U.S. Certification of Birth; or
    • a U.S. Certificate of Citizenship; or
    • a U.S. Naturalization Certificate

Note: A certified birth certificate has a registrar's raised, embossed, impressed or multicolored seal, registrar's signature, and the date the certificate was filed with the registrar's office, which must be within one year of the birth. You may order a certified birth certificate online or write to one of the offices of the National Center for Health Statistics.

A delayed birth certificate filed more than one year after your birth may be acceptable if it:

  • lists the documentation used to create it
  • is signed by the attending physician or midwife, or, lists an affidavit signed by the parents, or shows early public records.  

• If the applicant was born abroad AND does not have a Consular Report of Birth Abroad the applicant must obtain this document before applying for a first U.S. passport.

• All original documents submitted with the application as evidence of U.S. citizenship will be returned. See Foreign-born children adopted by U.S. citizens.

3) Present Evidence of Child's Relationship to Parents/Guardians

Note: Previous U.S. passports are not acceptable as proof of relationship to the applying parent(s)/guardian(s).

You will need to submit one of the following:

  • an original U.S. birth certificate (with parents names); or
  • a certified U.S. birth certificate (with parents' names); or
  • an original or certified copy of foreign birth certificate (with parents' names and sworn translation, if necessary); or
  • Consular Report of Birth Abroad (Form FS-240) (with parents' names); or
  • Certification of Birth Abroad (Form DS-1350) (with parents' names); or
  • adoption decree (with adopting parents' names); or
  • court order establishing custody; or court order establishing guardianship.

Note: If the parent(s)' and/or guardian(s)’ name(s) is/are other than that on these documents, evidence of legal name change is required.

4) Provide Parental Identification

Each parent (any nationality) or guardian must submit one of the following:

  • valid driver's license
  • valid official U.S. military ID
  • valid U.S. government ID
  • valid U.S. or foreign passport with recognizable photo
  • Naturalization/Citizenship Certificate from USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and - Immigration Services) with recognizable photo
  • Alien Resident Card from USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.)

Note: Your social security card does NOT prove your identity.

5) Present Parental Application Permission Documentation

  • Both parents must appear together and sign



  • One parent appears, signs, and submits primary evidence of sole authority to apply (such as one of the following):

    • Child's certified U.S. or foreign birth certificate (with translation, if necessary) listing only applying parent; or

    • Consular Report of Birth Abroad (Form FS-240) or Certification of Birth Abroad (Form DS-1350) listing only applying parent; or

    • Court order granting sole custody to the applying parent (unless child's travel is restricted by that order); or

    • Adoption decree (if applying parent is sole adopting parent); or

    • Court order specifically permitting applying parent's or guardian's travel with the child; or

    • Judicial declaration of incompetence of non-applying parent;

    • or Death certificate of non-applying parent.

Note: A third-party applying in loco parentis on behalf of a minor under the age of 16 must submit a notarized written statement or affidavit from both parents or guardians authorizing a third-party to apply for a passport. When the statement or affidavit is from only one parent/guardian, the third-party must present evidence of sole custody of the authorizing parent/guardian.

6) 2 x 2 Inch Passport Photograph

Please see the following passport photograph page for specific requirements.

7) Provide a Social Security Number (SSN)

If you do not have a Social Security number complete the SS-5 application form in order to apply. For any queries on SSN please refer to the Federal Benefits Unit in Dublin.

8) Fees: Please see the Passport/Citizenship Fee Page.

9) Self-Addressed Envelope

Please include a stamped self-addressed envelope, size 6in x 9 1/2in approx., for the return of your passport. Please affix to the envelope a €5.75 regular postage stamp or a combination of stamps to the value of €5.75. We will return your passports and documentation to you by Express Post mail.

Once we have received the complete passport application, it takes approximate five to six weeks for you to receive your new passport. Please enter any travel plans on page 2 of the application form.

Security at the Embassy

Please do not bring any electronic devices, such as laptop computers, Blackberries, iPods, or large bags, such as backpacks, suitcases or packages to the Consular Section as there are no storage facilities on Embassy grounds. Security guards may hold small tourist cameras and cell phones until your departure, but there is no storage available for any other large items or electronic devices — please do not bring them at the time of your appointment.

Please e-mail with any queries regarding the above information.

Adobe Reader

  • Adobe PDF Reader logo

    Download Free

    All downloadable documents on this page are provided in PDF format.  To view PDFs you must have a copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader.  If you do not have Adobe Reader, download the latest version of Adobe Acrobat Reader here.

Consular Affairs - Children's Issues