Children under age 16
Applications for Minors
Each minor child must appear in person at the Embassy and provide appropriate documentation. After reading the information below, please schedule the appointment.
Please use the following checklist (steps 1-8 conclusively)
1. Form DS-11
(If you do not have a Social Security number, enter 000-00-0000 on the online wizard. You must provide the electronically printed copy at your appointment. )
For any issues with the online application, the form is available for download here: DS-11 PDF
2. Proof of U.S. citizenship
√ Full validity (five-year) U.S. passport; or
√ Original/certified U.S. Birth Certificate; or
√ U.S. Certification of Consular Report of Birth Abroad/citizenship/naturalization
3. Birth certificate/Consular Report of Birth Abroad or legal document (as listed)
√ Original birth certificate/Consular Report of Birth Abroad (with parents names and translation if necessary); or
√ Adoption decree/court order establishing custody or guardianship
Note: If the parent(s)' and/or guardian(s)’ name(s) is/are other than that on these documents, evidence of legal name change is required.
4. Identification of parent(s) and or
√ Government issued I.D. (passport/driver's license/military etc.)
√ If both parents are listed on the birth certificate they must appear together and sign. In the event that one parent is unable to attend, a notarized DS-3053 consent form and a notarized copy of government issued photo identification of the non-appearing parent can be submitted. In Ireland, the consent form must be notarized by a notary listed on The Faculty of Notaries Public in Ireland.
√ One parent may submit primary evidence of sole authority to apply (such as one of the following):
Child's original birth certificate/Consular Report of Birth Abroad/Adoption Decree/Court Order, including translations if necessary) listing only applying parent
Please note: In the event that a parent listed on a birth certificate has passed, an original death certificate may be submitted as evidence.
5. Pre-paid self-addressed envelope (one per application), size 6in x 9 1/2in approximately. Please affix to the envelope a €7.75 postage stamp for return by Express Post. If you are applying for a passport card, they take an additional amount of time for processing compared to the passport book. If you wish to have it mailed to you seperately from your passport, please submit an additional €7.75 for express or €0.70 cent stamp for regular mail.
6. 1 x U.S. passport size photo (must have clear white background), please click here for requirements.
7. Provide a Social Security Number (SSN) If you do not have a Social Security number complete the SS-5 application form in order to apply. For any queries please refer to the Federal Benefits Unit in Dublin.
8. Fees: Please see the Passport/Citizenship Fee Page.
Any queries please contact email@example.com
Security at the Embassy
Please do not bring any electronic devices, such as laptop computers, Blackberries, iPods, or large bags, such as backpacks, suitcases or packages to the Consular Section as there are no storage facilities on Embassy grounds. Security guards may hold small tourist cameras and cell phones until your departure.