Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Reports of Birth Abroad

Birth Registration of Children Born Abroad to U.S. Citizens

To register for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad, you must schedule an appointment to visit the embassy with your child and submit all the documentation as listed below.

Passport Processing Times:

The current processing time for U.S. passports is approximately 4-6 weeks. We advise all applicants requiring a U.S. passport for routine, scheduled travel to apply early and with this processing timeframe in mind. We are not able to process or guarantee delivery of passports for less than the standard processing time unless you have urgent, immediate travel due to a family or medical emergency,  as determined and approved in person by a consular officer.

For applicants over the age of 18 please visit the following link

Please bring all of the following to your appointment:

  • Proof of Physical Presence in the United States (old passports, employment records, educational transcripts, tax returns/W2s etc.)
  • DS-2029: Application for Consular Report of Birth Abroad
    of A Citizen of the United States of America
  • DS-11: Passport application form
  • SS-5: Social Security application, signed by one U.S. citizen parent. 
  1. Pre-paid A4 size envelope (one per application). Please affix to the envelope a €7.70 postage stamp for return by Express Post.
  • Passport photo:  One 2" x 2" photo required. Please see specific guidelines for color photographs.
  • Fees: Consular Report of Birth Abroad fee is $100 U.S. dollars, the passport fee will depend on the age of your child. Please see the Passport/Citizenship Fee Page for the correct fee.

  • Birth Certificate: Child's long-form birth certificate, issued by the local authorities.
  • Marriage/Divorce Certificates if applicable: Original certificates issued by local, state, or national government authorities. If your certificates are in a language other than English, a certified translation must be provided;
  • Evidence of Parents' Citizenship and Identity: U.S. (or foreign) passports/government issued I.D. required at time of application.

Any queries please contact